It’s time to celebrate your independence from lame! Yes, we just made that up. This blog is a professional wordsmith.
The July 4 weekend is going to be a blast in Las Vegas, as Sin City embraces many of the things that make America great: hooch, over-the-top shows, inappropriately short miniskirts and pool party blow-outs. Oh, and liberty and all that.
As we’ve reported, the centerpiece of the Independence Day weekend will be the fireworks display launched from atop Caesars Palace on July 3, a scene this blog has re-created below through its clumsy and obvious use of Photoshop.
Grab more hastily-researched information about all the July 4 weekend fireworks fun to be had in Las Vegas.
What follow are more July 4 weekend highlights. (Translation: Like we have the time or energy to provide a comprehensive list. We’re sticking with “highlights,” thanks.)
* In honor of the 4th of July weekend, Harrah’s Las Vegas will have a special guest DJ (Dj Tiny) at its pool on July 2-3, noon to 5:00 p.m. Also of note, just for the July 4 weekend, the hotel’s buffet, Flavors, will be serving up a special menu.
* Imperial Palace joins in the celebration with special guest DJs at its pool, too. On July 2, it’s DJ Amanda Rose, and on July 3, DJ Divina cranks out the tunes.
* Also at Imperial Palace, Rockhouse will give a free drink to any woman in a red, white or blue bikini on July 4. Hey, you were going to wear one, anyway, right? The party continues with $4 shots, $4 draft beers and other liver-friendly diversions.
* The Backstreet Boys play The Beach at Mandalay Bay on July 2. The official after-party happens at Gallery Nightclub at Planet Hollywood. If it weren’t true, would we have a graphic that says so?
* Few things say, “Happy birthday, America!” like a car-crushing mechanical dinosaur. July 3, the Las Vegas Motor Speedway hosts its Annual Night of Fire at the Bullring, 5:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. The events also features fireworks and some car stuff (Jet Car burn, NASCAR Super Late Model racing) this blog doesn’t entirely grasp the appeal of. Oh, and Robosaurus. Now, that’s cool.
* VooDoo, atop the Rio Vegas, has a full slate of guests DJs scheduled to make the July 4 weekend get its groove on. Assuming people still do that.
* The Fremont Street Experience, downtown, hosts a free concert by Colin Hay (of Men at Work) on July 2, 9:00 p.m.
* On July 2, McFadden’s at Rio Vegas hosts its “Red, White and Booze” event. It’s all-you-can-drink from 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. for $15. Ask about the $2 red, white and blue Jell-O shots, and more. Bail bondsman not included.
* PBR Rock Bar at Planet Hollywood has tons of “Beers, Bulls and BBQ” goodness planned all July 4 weekend, including $5 Washington apple shots, $1 bull rides and red, white and blue daiquiris. Learn more about how to ride a mechanical bull.
* The outdoor terrace at Chateau, the new nightclub at Paris Vegas, will open at 11:00 a.m. on July 4 for a soiree featuring burgers, dogs and other Independence Day-inspired treats.
Here’s the ultimate July 4 weekend insider hook-up: When you’re at your favorite hotels in Las Vegas, always make sure to check in using Facebook Places. Checking in is a painless way to get special offers. To find out what offers are out there, visit the Facebook page of your favorite Vegas hotels like O’Sheas, Rio Vegas, Imperial Palace or Paris Vegas and click on the “Deals” link. All these hotels currently have 2-for-1 drink offers at any casino bar, just for checking in.
How will you be spending your July 4th weekend? Why not make it Las Vegas?